Thursday, November 4, 2010

Approaching the Holidays!!! A look at past tradition and future...









We always take our kids trick or treating for halloween.  For thanksgiving I have a minimum of  4 thanksgivings where I used to over indulge into turkey, mashed potatoes with gravy and butter, stuffing, corn soaked in butter, green bean casserole, deviled eggs, biscuits with butter, and pie lots of pie.  My mother in law also makes these awesome cinnamon sugar twist out of left over pie dough - and bakes them they get all caramelized and they are so good!  At any given thanksgiving it wasn't out of the question to find me eating 2 dinner plates full of heaping food.  Black Friday is another exciting time for me not exactly a holiday but for me starts the excitement of shopping and getting out watching the "hustle and bustle" of the holiday season.   After black Friday is complete those who shop with us would go out to Old Country buffet and stuff ourselves full of breakfast food.  My favorites from there we're  bacon, hash browns with tons of ketchup, pancakes with all sorts of toppings, tomato juice, chocolate milk/ hot chocolate, and several cookies, bread pudding, ice cream, brownies, cakes, or what ever I was craving at that time.  To prepare for Christmas I bake with my children and we usually made 4 batches of many different type of Christmas goodies.  Many of them were brownies, cake, chocolate chip cookies, no bake cookies, sugar cookies, peanut butter kiss cookies, blueberry muffins, fudge, rice crispy treats, and more depending on the year.  I would not only consume enormous amounts of my own baked goods but wherever I went I would consume a bunch of everyone else's.  Christmas time I have at least 3 celebrations.  At one of them we bring food and cookies and make it a buffet.  Another one we usually have ham or turkey.  My favorite one of them is ham with pineapple on it and sweet sauce (2 bags dark brown sugar, 2 containers mustard, and some of the pineapple juice)  you add the sweet sauce to the ham cook it in a oven bag.  I use the sweet sauce on mashed potatoes and butter, corn, ham, biscuits, and deviled eggs.  We add different sides this all the time depending on what we are craving.  Then we have apple pie, pumpkin pie, or apple crisp to finish up the day.  I usually have 2 plates of Christmas food as well.  I used to think of the holidays and think of the food that was involved that I soon would enjoy.  I actually salivated just thinking of the food. 

Now that I have told you of my past I will tell you of what I really feel about the holidays.  Many of us celebrate for the appropriate reasons on these holidays I have mentioned.  However, I thought we gathered to celebrate together and spend time with family and consume food we so rarely consume only a few times a year.  I have since learned it's not about the food.  It's about celebrating the appropriate holiday and spending time with your family while doing it.  It doesn't have to be with food but it can be with food.  There is no need to eat excessive amounts of food.  This year I will eat the new amounts of healthier versions of thanksgiving and Christmas food I've been accustomed to eating in the past.  I will not partake in any of the baked goods.  In future years I may, but right now I'm doing what I feel is right for me by staying on track and eating healthy.  My health is more important than some extra calories, fat, and a small taste of some pleasure.  I'm more excited about the pleasure of getting more healthy and reaching some of my many goals.  This is a journey to health - in many different varieties.  Physical, mental, social, and spiritual health.  I need this transformation to change my life to change my mindset in how I live. 

This holiday season when you look down at your plate - think about what do you really want in life health and long term happiness or immediate pleasure of high calorie and high fat foods.  Some of which have very little nutritional value.  Omit the butter and sugar and other ingredients from the sweet potatoes and squash.  Find a recipe for whole wheat biscuits.  Use whole wheat bread for the stuffing.  Think about how much salt your adding to your foods.  There are other versions of deviled eggs out there that don't include mayonnaise or miracle whip.  Even implementing a few small changes in every meal to opt for a healthier options can make a difference in your life. 

If anyone is interested in a healthier version of holiday foods get a hold of me I will be happy to help you implement a healthier holiday!

Remember the holidays do not have to be about food.  With that said have a Happy Thanksgiving, Happy Black Friday, and a Merry Christmas!!!


2 comments:

  1. The ladies at the women's meeting last night were talking about the Harvest dinner. They're setting up s section just for the healthy dishes that you and perhaps some others are preparing. You're making a difference girl. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This said so much. Looking at the big dinners ... especially during holidays and at church ... it sure is exciting to see what the Lord will put onto our plate. With His help, we can eat well! PL

    ReplyDelete